Tuesday 8 April 2008

I'm in love with Kevin Whately. It's a bit distracting.

A2 is beginning to seriously concern me, ladies. Particularly last year's question paper, which had 'answer on any text for any question' at the top, and then a list of very vague questions. I was thinking of writing on the Gawain romances/Middle English romances in general/the Pearl poet/Dunbar, but I don't seem able to see these questions as useful for - well, anything, really! Does anyone else think the questions very odd compared to those on, say, A1? Please, please reassure me in some way, here! Gah.

I think I'm just going to go back to watching Morse, now. Every time Kevin Whately does anything at all, I want to fling myself down flights of stairs BECAUSE HE IS SO ADORABLE. And it is four a.m. and I am sick sick sick of worrying about A2.

edited to add: All right - what would you answer from this paper, if you were sitting it tomorrow? http://missun29.offices.ox.ac.uk/papers/2007/trinity/2402.pdf

5 comments:

Loathly Lady said...

Ohh Janette :(. You shouldn't be up at four am because of being worried about A2! *hug*

I have an idea to reassure you... Why don't you do what Lali had suggested a while back, and put up some of these vague questions you saw... And then we each see how we'd work through them? What do you think? That way it'd be a constructive way of dealing with the worry :). (though I'm sure Morse is a sort-of constructive way too...!!)

Lollius said...

I think Morse should sit A2 for me. That's what I think. Pity he's dead. And, er, fictional. Failing that, though, I think that's a good idea! I'll go and collate some now. xx

Loathly Lady said...

yay! That's good, we'll show A2 who's boss :) Unfortunately I can't access it just now... but I'll be able to tomorrow!

By the way Janette, what are you doing your collections in?

lots of love :).

Illusionary said...

oh sadly i dont think i've ever seen inspector morse...
i agree on A2 though...i think the questions are much more vauge compared to A1. A3 also tends to be more general/thematic and doesn't specify texts, but i suppose thats because its a single author paper.
Looked at the paper you linked...
1. would write on the romances, and on how far its Anglo-Saxon tradition (King Horn etc) and how far taking on french courtly tradition.
3. the writer as the historian. I would write on Brut. I dont know if you could work any of your topics into this question.
4. Ayoush is the only one of us who would write a brilliant essay on the mystics for this one!
8. the one on allegory- perhaps you could work Pearl-poet into this?

anyway, in general i think this paper is crap.there is a lot one can write about romance, but I'd have to think hard for the other ones. I think we all need to make sure that our topics are more 'thematic', so that we can write on anything for the poet/poem we are studying. I definitely think i need more work on A2.But the good news is that it seems like we are all okay wt A1!
oh, and have you started to attack Chaucre/Gower yet?

Loathly Lady said...

Hey...

Have looked at the exam. I'd do the following:

12) I'd actually do this one on the mystics... not 4, because 4 is all woman-ish, and I have to steer clear of that :(. I don't think it'd be a brilliant essay Lali! But thank you :).

18) I'd want to do this on drama... but could also do it with Gawain-poet, if 'Biblical literature' doesn't encompass drama... but I guess it would, wouldn't it? I mean I could defend drama as 'biblical literature' in my introduction perhaps...Anyway, in short, I'd use either drama (preferably) or Gawain (if forced) for this.

Then, if all above goes to plan as I'd hoped, I'd do either:

8) on Dunbar, with some Henryson worked in... not sure if that would hold, need to do an essay to make sure...

or

19) on Gawain...

:)

xxx